Saturday, September 27, 2008

He makes me....

Psalms 23 says, "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me..... Hmmmmm, ever feel like you're being made to do something you don't want to do? Yeah, me too. There are things that are not comfortable, convenient or even pleasant and, therefore, I don't want to. But He makes me. He has his reasons. Just like when my sons were young, I made them do things they didn't want to. Such as go to bed, take a shower, do their homework, be kind to one another. Why did I do it? Because they needed it or others needed it. And just like I had my reasons, He has His reason for "making me".

In School of Ministry class this week we learned about authority. Pastor Herb was describing a portion of scripture and likened it as "putting iron into us". It brings strength and straightening. Discussion ensued and I began to see how we are on a journey of life. And on that journey, there are some tests, and by the way, they are all open book! But mainly, our Maker is making us. He puts things in and he removes things. At times the putting in is pleasant and satisfying, at times it's like trying to put a dress shirt and tie on a young boy with mom trying to still that wiggling boy from running away! He takes things out and often it feels much like a real loose tooth or splinter, we want it out but getting it out brings discomfort and sometimes downright pain!

I really don't want to remain the same. I choose the "making" of my Maker. I want Him to put things into me and take things out of me to straighten and strength me. And He is wanting to do it because I NEED it. I need for Him to show me where I am "twisted and messed up" because He is my Truth mirror. I want to reflect Him because I am made to reflect Him. When I "saw" Him and gave my life to Him, I ask Him to make me like Him and He is doing just that, He is making me. For that, I am grateful. It is best for me AND best for others. Then I can "let my light so shine before men that they will see my good works and glorify my "Maker" in heaven.

So, what do you think, what is He wanting to "make" in you? What "loose tooth or splinter is He wanting to remove from you? And what does He want to put in to you to strengthen and straighten you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. :)

I have learned just recently also about similar things that the Lord brings us to do in regard to testing. There are two tests we may encounter in life, one to bring our faith down and the other to realize and strengthen the faith that is within us. The second is from the Father. Those tests of our faith ensue when the Lord wants us to see that we do have the faith that He has already given us, we just don't know it yet. When we step in obedience the faith that He already gave us sprouts and grows stronger - in our obedience.

He gave us the faith - He knows how much we can muster. He tests us to show us what He already knows we can do.