Saturday, June 21, 2008

Out with Spring, in with Summer

Did you know that Spring is now gone and Summer has officially begun? I love Spring. After the cold and everything appearing lifeless, warmth and color springs forth! And I see things I haven't seen for awhile like Robins. It's as comforting as a visit from an old friend! Crocus and daffadils burst into view and we are off and running. There is a flurry of activity among nature and humans.

And now Summer is summoned. I didn't notice anything different. It was hotter last week than this. Pools, camping and boating all began nearly a month ago. I didn't even notice there was a moving from one season to another. Did you? And until we reach the next season, fall, we really won't "rate" this summer. We have to live it before we compare it.

In the natural, sometimes we can determine the season and the changing of the season, but what about the spirit? For two years now things have been changing in my life. Not only have I gotten older with more apparent aches & pains, but grandchildren have been born, and I and others have changed addresses. I've discovered a word that keeps popping up: transition. Webster defines it as passage from one place to another; change from one state or condition to another. Yep, that pretty much defines my life for the last 2 years. My mom went to be with her loving heavenly Bridegroom, we moved from our home of 25 years, we became grandparents again and again, we went to school (school of ministry) and our son & family moved 1300 miles away (and took those grandbabies with him)! And after all of that, I don't think the transition is over any time soon.

Sometimes you are aware change has occured (like winter to spring) and sometimes it just happens and you catch up later (spring to summer). In the change, it is essential that you keep moving with it. How silly it would be to go outdoors with hat and mittens in the summer! And how dangerous it would be to go outdoors in the snowy winter with shorts and flipflops.

At this point in my life I have one thing on my heart, to be and do whatever His heart is doing! I want to be in whatever season my loving Father says it is for me. You see if winter comes too soon, we lose things and if spring shows up before winter is over we lose things. It's fruitful and purposeful if you are in the right season at the right time!

So Lord, may I be transitioning at the same pace as You and in the same season as You. I don't want to linger in the past or jump ahead of You. And whatever season it is may I be fruitful and find purpose!!

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

Good prayer! We're all about transition right now - new beds for big girls, new paint for new daughters, new heart for parenting a special need, new ideas for preparing for another transition! My mom always used to tell me that when I stopped experiencing change, look out, I might be dead!!!!! Bring it on - we've been waiting for these transitions here :)